[OSM-talk] Cancel Västerås

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Oct 11 10:49:34 BST 2006

Ahoy,

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:53, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:38, Stephan Schildberg wrote:
> > Lars Aronsson schrieb:
> > > I don't think I can be
> > > the locomotive when the train is missing.  Maybe OSM is a great
> > > idea whose time just hasn't come (to Sweden, anyway) yet.
> >
> > If I would announce a mapping weekend in Hamburg, I wouldn't expect many
> > people to show up then, even if some would like to go (officially we are
> > 3 for 755km2) , there are always reasons not to come. We spread the idea
> > in several societies who are either interested in IT, sports and nature
> > conservation.
> > It has to grow, the momentum we generate is just not quite enough, but
> > following further promotion I calculate with some awareness next spring.
>
> Even in Munich where we are at least 10-15 people mapping, we just tried to
> meet all together and didn't succeed by now.

When we did two weekends in Reading, most of the people turned up through me
personally harassing friends and colleagues, and through the local LUG. Not
everyone had a GPS, so some people went in pairs. At the second weekend it
was really just myself and Robert, with a friend from Greenpeace turning up
for one afternoon.

Look farther afield than OSM, as Stephan said, and plan first and foremost on
having a fun time so it's still worthwhile even if it's just two of you :)

Kind regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera