[OSM-talk] How to tag a pedestrian area, like a square?

Ralf at Zimmermann.com Ralf at Zimmermann.com
Fri Oct 13 11:33:00 BST 2006

I am wondering, how a pedestrian area would be tagged. Here in Munich, we have big places/squares, where people do walk between stores and shopping centers. Only a few vehicles are allowed to drive there.

I saw the proposed feature for a "Pedestrianised road". That would cover the pedestrian streets between the squares.
But how to tag the main squares? These are areas, not ways.

On the dictionary page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Dictionary), I found a "pedestrian area". This is basically what I am looking for.

How should I tag such a pedestrian area?

Ralf
Munich/Germany