[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] The OSM Applet

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 13:14:44 BST 2006

David Earl wrote:
> I wonder whether it is the best use of limited volunteer time to develop
> online editing at all. The icons are really rather superficial. Once having
> installed JOSM, I can't imagine any reason why I'd use the applet.

You are describing a meta-bug. If the applet isn't what hard-core users will
use, the applet will tend to languish, acting as a barrier to new users. Not
having the applet at all would likely lower the barrier.

However, if Nick Black is prepared to work on the applet, look after it, coax
it, keep it up to scratch, then the applet would again become an asset. So I
strongly support Nick Black's efforts to improve the applet.

As it stands right now, I feel the applet should be hidden from new users and
Josm should be presented to them as the first editing option. I can't imagine
anyone who I would introduce openstreetmap to via the applet. My first advice to
anyone I introduce to OSM is to ignore the applet - pretend it doesn't exist.