[OSM-talk] osmarender and mappaint styles

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Oct 20 10:06:28 BST 2006

Having realised the advantages of landuse and other area properties now I
know how to use them, I've been doing more with them.

However, I've realised the osmarender styles aren't complete (e.g.
landuse=allotments, military=range don't render among many others, and names
don't get rendered for parks etc, even if I use a tagged node inside the
area). I know I can add these (and have). But it seems a waste of effort for
me to do this just for me. If I was to go through the list and add them
systematically (colours for missing area types, icons for missing node
types), would this be helpful and can I get it into the osmarender release?
I can prepare a document proposing what colours and icons to use first if
you like.

Secondly, I think it would be better if the mappaint plugin defalts had
colours consistent with osmarender (e.g. cycleways are rendered in magenta
in mappaint and green in osmarender, while footways are green vs brown).
Again I know (and have) changed these, but I would have thought most people
would want this. mappaint also has a different set of missing area
renderings (mostly more of them). Again, would it be helpful for me to
systematically bring these into line? (Note for the future: wouldn't it be
even better if they used the same style file?)

Personally, I've also found it much more helpful to set mappaint render the
ways wider than the default (river is especially narrow by default, but all
roads), because it is easier to then see the difference between segments and
ways, and see what's missing, especially for dark colours (I'm workng on a
white background, which I find much more comfortable). What do other people
think about this?

Finally, mappaint apparently renders objects in order, so that coloured
areas (e.g. a park) obscure linear ways (e.g. a cycleway through the park)
that happen to be rendered first. osmarender does things in a better order
so ways overlay areas. Could whoever needs to know, consider this for some
attention in the mappaint plugin (or would it be in the main JOSM?)

David

PS I've put an example JOSM screenshot at
http://www.frankieandshadow.com/xref/jsom-example.jpg which shows:
- allotments rendered in brown (added)
- park obscuring way (you can see the nodes)
- parking area not rendered (but node is)
- thick line for railway, thicker than default for residential, cycleway
etc.
etc.