[OSM-talk] JOSM landsat plugin... do people want a 'slippy' styleinterface?

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sat Oct 21 21:13:21 BST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Whitelegg" <nick at hogweed.org>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:32 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] JOSM landsat plugin... do people want a 'slippy'
styleinterface?

> Yesterday Steve suggested that the Landsat plugin might be better if it
> adopted a slippy approach, i.e. as you move round the map, data
> automatically
> gets downloaded when you move into new areas. Or are people happy with the
> current approach of manually downloading data?

I'm quite happy with the current approach.

In fact I think a "slippy approach" may have some disadvantages, and if it
were implemented I'd like to request the ability to have it turned off / on
, and the ability to revert to the current method.

For instance when worling in a new area I now quite often download a small
scale landsat of the area. just to get an overview of where it is I am
working, then zoom in to the specific area I'm interested in, and download
another larger scale Landsat with better resolution.  This might cause quite
a few unecessary calls to the Landsat server if things were slippy based.

David

> If I remember right the slippy approach had some difficulties fitting
> round
> the internal architecture of JOSM so it would be quite a big job... hence
> would only intend to do it if there was a big demand for it.
>
> Whatever the case I aim to restore the feature in my hacked (pre-plugin)
> version of JOSM where you could download more than one landsat layer in
> and
> select between them.

That would be good. When I need the Landsat feature  I've given up using the
current version with the Landsat plugin and have reverted to your older
josm-custom.jat, for just this reason

David