[OSM-talk] New Popular Edition maps, and postcode collection

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Mon Oct 23 22:45:21 BST 2006

As some of you already know, we've been working with scans of the
1930s/40s OS maps from the New Popular Edition.

We have tiles of all of the England and Wales, and have put them up on
 http://www.npemap.org.uk

Using this data, we have written an application to collect postcode data
in a similar manner to Free the Postcode, but without requiring users to
have a GPS. Do browse the old maps and while you are there, enter as
many postcodes for places you know.

We have populated the postcode data from the current FTP database, and
will be making our data public domain, just as soon as we have written
scripts to output it nicely. If you don't want to enter the full
postcode for a location, then enter as much as you feel like (but the
full outward (first half) is required I think).

As you can see, the style isn't quite finished at the moment, but you
guys have been using OSM which doesn't have the most user-friendly web
pages. Please feel free to send comments to webmaster at npemap.org.uk if
you see any problems, or if you have any other suggestions.

The tiles are under the licence at
http://www.npemap.org.uk/tileLicence.html which says that you can derive
whatever you like from the tiles, but the images are CC-BY-NC so don't
go selling them. Also, we will be unhappy with people writing scripts to
download them all as we need to consider our bandwidth use, get in touch
if you want to do that sort of thing.

David
--
Morton's Law:
	If rats are experimented upon, they will develop cancer.