[OSM-talk] Tagging shopping streets

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Oct 25 10:13:39 BST 2006

Ahoy,

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 23:49, Mike Collinson wrote:
> Wasn't
>          highway=precinct
> voted in a couple of weeks ago?

The vote ended a while ago, but it looks inconclusive:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Pedestrianised_road

Personally I'd go with pedestrian rather than precinct for three reasons:

1. We call them pedestrianised roads in the UK, whilst precinct brings to mind
a central retail area or US police precincts
2. Some pedestrianised roads can be found in residential or other areas. If
it's a shopping precinct, use landuse=retail, but we shouldn't overburden the
tag with more meanings than it needs.
3. Roads that aren't pedestrianised are found in retail precincts and police
precincts.

Anyway, since I count 3 votes for pedestrian, 2 for precinct, 1 for another
vote to distinguish the two and four votes with no preference stated, it
seems like we need another way to make a decision, or at least a discussion
that will lead to a clearer vote.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera