[OSM-talk] 3000 registered users but the stats arn't all rosy

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Fri Sep 1 18:44:55 BST 2006

Robert Scott wrote:
> I think the one thing that would give the front page the most impact is for
> the slippy map to show _some_ data at all zoom levels - even if it's
> statically generated (maybe once a week). Being able to look at the whole
> planet and see the progress being made is quite inspiring.

Most zoomable maps I've used only show things like major roads at large
scales, gradually bringing in lesser details and fiddly bits at small
scales.

eg. start with
highway=motorway then
highway=[motorway|trunk],railway=rail
highway=[motorway|trunk|primary],railway=[rail|light_rail]
highway=[motorway|trunk|primary|secondary],railway=*
highway=*,railway=*
then everything else.

increasing the cache period per tile based on area covered should be
easy enough, should we need to ease the load on the database and tile
servers.

getting the way colouring working again is a prerequisite for any of this.