[OSM-talk] Maps and names

Emil emil79 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 12:37:18 BST 2006

On 9/2/06, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> http://www.ivir.nl/files/database/index.html#iceland

Thanks for that.  I'll make a quick point: this person copied the
whole map; no-one here is questioning the copyright of the visual
representation of maps. The question remains: would using isolated
facts off a map consitute infringment of a database right?

Also - if is IS true that, say, the collection of street names in a
map consitutes a database for which the map creator has a database
right, then that would torpedo the OSM, as it would be irrelevant
whether we copied the names from them or not, we'd be infringing
either way.

Emil