[OSM-talk] QT4 [WAS:N00b experiences]

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Sun Sep 3 14:50:48 BST 2006

Hi Bruce,

> JOSM is fine for me anyway, although it doesn't look nice in GNOME,
> but neither would a QT4 app.  I just thought that GTK+ would be nice
> for GNOME users.

I agree that if it comes to look and feel a GTK app fits better to a
Gnome desktop, and Qt apps fit better to the KDE desktop.

> WxWidgets could be another option, as it is cross platform, and looks
> good everywhere. (VLC uses it, along with QT4)

Audacity as well. AFAIK VLC can be compiled absolutely headless, so it
seems they have properly divided front- and backend.

> I am sure QT4 is good for programmers for the above reasons, but I
> like to keep a pure GTK+ environment, simply because of QT's
> licensing issues.

Qt4 is available as GPL software for Win, Mac and Linux directly from
the Trolltech homepage, so licencing issues are past.

Cheers,

ce