[OSM-talk] GPS scribble in JOSM

Ed Davies osm at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 22:59:15 BST 2006

I (Ed Davies) wrote:
> When I download some GPS data from OSM into JOSM they
> come out as scribble lines.  E.g., here's a screenshot
> of tracklogs downloaded around 2006-09-04T12Z for the
> Basingstoke area:
>
>    http://www.edavies.nildram.co.uk/2006/09/osm/basingstoke-josm-screenshot.png

Jon Burgess replied:
> Try Edit->Preferences and disabling the "Draw lines
> between raw GPS points".

Yes, that works but it's a pity to have to do it as the
lines are really handy for identifying tracks at junctions
and things.

> How did you download the GPX traces? did you download the files
> individually or did you use the "download raw GPS" option?

Connection -> Download from OSM
With "Open as raw GPS data" checked.

> JOSM probably shouldn't even try drawing lines between the nodes for raw
> GPS data.

It would  be a pity to lose the option for locally opened GPX
files which are, surely, ordered appropriately for adding
lines.

Richard Fairhurst then replied:
> They're supposed to be ordered by timestamp, as Ed theorised (line 663
> of dao.rb). I've committed a change to svn that will order them by GPX
> id _then_ timestamp, which should hopefully remove the problem.

Excellent.  Many thanks.  I look forward to it being deployed.

Presumably that'll leave just one "rogue" line between the end
of one tracklog and the start of the next or is such a step
marked somehow?  Must get round to reading up on the API :-).

Ed.