[OSM-talk] The OSM Applet - let's ditch it for JOSM (was: Mapping Reading, some impressions)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Sep 5 10:43:22 BST 2006

Ahoy,

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 10:19, Tom Carden wrote:
> On 05/09/06, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:
> > However, the problem with the applet for me is as much its inability (or
> > unwillingness) to display OSM data in the view module [1]. Perhaps
> > replacing the edit tab with JOSM would help somebody focus on the view
> > module in some obscure way?
>
> I don't know what you mean here... the edit tab and the view tab don't
> display the same info, that much is clear.  They also don't display
> everything that it's possible to display (e.g. with osmarender).
>
> Maybe we're not talking about the same things?
>
> The applet is the thing in the edit tab that loads using a Java
> plug-in, and is currently almost completely unworkable.  It's the
> interactive drawing interface on the openstreetmap website.
>
> The view module isn't the same as the applet.   The view module (known
> here as 'slippy map') is a javascript interface to a web server which
> draws small map tiles for us.  The map tile server deliberately
> doesn't draw things at large scales because there would just be too
> much data to draw a "live" picture of.  We've discussed rendering the
> large scale tiles en masse, or only refreshing the cache once every
> few days/weeks, but so far nobody's done it.
>
> Perhaps, for now, the view module could do with a message explaining
> that you have to zoom in or search to see things?

Aha, my mistake, the slippy map also needs some work then :) If you followed
the link I provided you'll see that a zoomed in map of Reading shows next to
no data. It's been like that for almost a week and the "right click/view
image/refresh" trick that I remember from a while back doesn't work. Here it
is again:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=51.445&lon=-0.9685&zoom=11

The point being that when I say "hey, would you like to help map Reading" and
people go to see what's already done on the web site, they come away with the
impression that nothing but a few main roads leading into the town have been
done, which is a shame :(

Regards,
Tom

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the