[OSM-talk] The OSM Applet - let's ditch it for JOSM (was: Mapping Reading, some impressions)

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 14:31:10 BST 2006

Nick Hill wrote:

> Tom Carden, I am in no way undermining the admirable work you have put
> into the applet. I believe it has been an important step in the
> evolution of OSM. I am simply making the point that because it is no
> longer the tool of choice, and it has not been getting the attention it
> needs, perhaps Tom Chance is correct in his opinion that presenting it
> as the default editing interface causes more harm than good.

Nick Hill, no worries.  I was suggesting the same thing myself. Nick
Black's stats do show that there is some overlap that needs explaining
before we act though.

Like you, I think that if there is one client it will receive more
attention - JOSM might benefit from a (optional) landsat view and an
osmarender-like "map" view, for example, if people couldn't get those
things from the applet.  Imi was getting pretty close to a 1.4-compatible
version at one point, and also to an applet version.  We can do this.

Best,

Tom.