[OSM-talk] GPS Units for the Foundation

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 5 15:28:00 BST 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 10:13, Mikel Maron wrote:
> I ideally want to get to a dozen spare GPS units. Since there are no more
> NaviGPS units for sale in the UK, I'm thinking of ordering some Garmin Geko
> 201 units, which is at a similar price point. How do Geko's compare to
> NaviGPS? Any pointers on a good place to order from?

Is there a reason you're looking at gekos rather than eTrexes? The classic
yellow eTrex seems to be about £5 cheaper on amazon, and, though slightly
bigger, has better battery life due to the use of AAs over AAAs, has a
clearer screen and (I think) is slightly better built. Other than that, the
two are near identical, right down to the user interface.

One thing I would look out for though is that etrexes/gekos need a little bit
more experience to get a good signal with. If you're going to be giving these
to newbies who don't know how to get the best signal from them (keeping them
horizontal, not putting them in your shirt pocket, giving them the best
skyview etc.) and then these people are going to be going around urban areas,
you (and they) might be disappointed with the results.

NaviGPSs will generally do better in these circumstances due to their decent
sirf II chips.

robert.