[OSM-talk] GPS Units for the Foundation

Jon Stockill lists at stockill.net
Tue Sep 5 16:42:17 BST 2006

Robert Scott wrote:

> Odd. I know I can get good reception with the eTrex perfectly horizontal on
> handlebars, but if I just leave it kicking around my bag the results can be
> quite unreliable. On the other hand, on the Reading weekend, Tom would just
> put the NaviGPS in his pocket (!) and still get good results.

I've had good results with both a GPS12 and GPS60 simply by switching
the thing on, throwing it in the lid pocket of a daysack, and forgetting
about it. The GPS60's belt clip clipped to the shoulder strap of the
same bag also seems to keep it in a good position. With the belt clip on
my belt I find that I get far worse reception (although that's probably
because there's a significant amount of me for the signal to go through ;-)

--
Jon Stockill
lists at stockill.net