[OSM-talk] [OTish] Free, geocoded photo database?

Paul Dixon paul at elphin.com
Tue Sep 5 20:19:57 BST 2006

>> Is anyone aware of any existing service that offers geocoded photos under a
>> guaranteed Free licence? Or should maybe freemap start up its own?
>>
> You're aware of geograph.org.uk of course?  I don't know if I misunderstood
> what you were asking.

As I understood it, you're looking for a general purpose photo sharing
solution that supports automated uploads and geolocated metadata, as
well as a free licence.

Geograph ticks most of those boxes (there's no API for uploading, but
it's coming soon) but it's not really like Flickr as all submissions are
moderated to ensure they fit the criteria of the project. While we'd be
happy to see OSM contributors submitting photos via some API, the fact
that some might get rejected by a 3rd party project might not appeal!
Also, Geograph is UK+Eire only, not worldwide.

I could turn this idea on it's head though - we can give you a feed of
geolocated photos with a CC by-sa-2.0 licence to integrate into OSM. We
have a variety of APIs for doing this and are happy to build new ones
for this sort of thing, and we are collecting 600 new images a day at
the moment.

Paul Dixon
Geograph Project