[OSM-talk] Map Features: Road classification schemes for worldwide use

Wollschaf mith at uni.de
Tue Sep 5 21:17:23 BST 2006

Perhaps it is best to just keep the highway scheme and wait for another
year, until a more international user base has established and more
opinions and suggestions come up.

Results up to now:
- It is hard to find an intuitive approach to describe physical properties
as road width; The tags width and approximate_width are the only ones that
are not based on any kind of scheme and thus perhaps hard to use, but
easier to establish because less community work is needed. An
intuitive scheme has to be rather complex to cover all roads on this
planet.

- Logical road classification using numbers doesn't seem to be accepted.
Any other approach I can think of is somehow flawed regarding its use by
computers (map rendering, route planning).

And I thought it would be easy to invent some kind of scheme, discuss and
modify it to make it good for everyone... thus making it possible to
differientiate roads better and get more accurate maps.

happy tagging,
Wollschaf