[OSM-talk] motorvej=motorway=autobahn?

Dean Earley dean at earlsoft.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 23:43:38 BST 2006

pgroad wrote:
> As a Dane I find it strange to see Denmark mapped using UK (I guess)
> terms and distinctions. Is it totally without merit to map an area in
> local terms? If it is, I think it will be difficult to convince
> non-mapoholics to contribute to the mapping process.

It is currently done that way as a standard for computers to understand
(rather than renderers having to know about EVERY language that exists.
There are ongoing discussions about a replacement for this method though.

> Also - when Denmark is completely mapped (should not take too long) and
> we are about to put a big label on it  - should the label say "Denmark"
> or "Danmark"?

Well, there are name, and local name tags available to add both.

> And is "København" just an unfortunate local variant of the correct
> version, "Copenhagen"?

I believe that was added by someone who lives in Copenhagen...

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean at earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk