[OSM-talk] The OSM Applet - let's ditch it for JOSM (was:Mapping Reading, some impressions)

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 09:10:16 BST 2006

On 9/6/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> This does raise an interesting point. When you have a blank canvas you
> need
> the gps referencing to be able to lay down the basic structure and format.
> But when all the roads streets and other gps gathered features are there
> in
> an area do we consider that its ok to add more details by had without
> reference to the gps or other surveying method?
>
> Personally I feel its ok to add nodes representing buildings since its
> easy
> enough later on to add the building limits if they are survey at a later
> time. I'm less comfortable with a point type object, eg a post_box, simply
> because its still easy to be 50m out in the location. I still therefore
> tend
> to match a photo with the tracklog for placing these.
>
> Comments?

I think this is one of the situations where the source tag can be useful.
If a feature is added from a georeferenced photgraph then it should be
better quality data than the feature that has been added because the user
remembers that it is on that corner:

In the first case: amenity=post_pox, source=photograph

and in the second case: amenity=post_box, source=extrapolation

A user can then make their own judgement about how much they should rely on
the data.  Now I'm starting to imagine navigation software saying "Turn left
at the corner where there might be a post box into a road which is
probablya one way street" ;-)

Etienne