[OSM-talk] motorvej=motorway=autobahn?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Sep 6 10:29:02 BST 2006

pgroad wrote:

> As a Dane I find it strange to see Denmark mapped using UK (I
> guess) terms and distinctions.

It's part of an Anglo-Swedish conspiracy to finally revenge what
you did from Danelaw to the battle of Älvsborg.  Yes, we're out to
hurt you badly.  You better surrender now.  Fighting is futile.

> Also - when Denmark is completely mapped (should not take too
> long) and we are about to put a big label on it - should the
> label say "Denmark" or "Danmark"? And is "København" just an
> unfortunate local variant of the correct version, "Copenhagen"?

Actually, the name Denmark will be completely removed from the
map. Jutland will be ruled from London and Funen+Sealand from
Stockholm.  Your province will be known as Western Scania.
Copenhagen will be renamed Västerköping.  We own you now.

----

Sorry, I couldn't resist it.  It sounded from your posting that
you feared this kind of conspiracy, so I thought I should fullfil
your expectations.

One year ago, OpenStreetMap didn't contain a single line segment
in Denmark.  Then user:Sxpert contributed a tracklog from his
journey Grenoble-Nordkap and I draw the map of this, which passed
Hamburg-Copenhangen and Copenhagen-Luebeck. At the time, it was
only possible to draw line segments.  The ability to add names of
places and types of roads have been introduced during the last
year. We're only just beginning this project.  It will take more
than ten years to completely map Denmark.  But you have the
advantage of being a small country.

Our purpose is to create a free map, a map that can be reused for
different purposes.  If the part of OpenStreetMap that covers
Denmark should be used in Denmark or Sweden, we want it to say
Danmark, if it is used in Germany, it should say Dänemark, in
England it should say Denmark.  Perhaps we should not include the
name in the map at all, but only "object 4711" and then provide a
global translation table where this object ID is mapped to
different names in different languages?

I don't know what the best solution is, I only know that the
whatever we have today is an early prototype of what the final
solution should be.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)