[OSM-talk] osmeditor2 and JOSM

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Fri Sep 8 12:47:19 BST 2006

Nick,

I'm kind of glad you have come forward with this proposal. I really liked
osmeditor2, particularly it's conveniences for creating a way in one go,
without having to do nodes and segments first, and in tagging ways without
having to manually add many tags. However, I ended up using JOSM for almost
all of my editing for two reasons I think. Firstly it seemed more stable,
and less dependent on the server stability, and secondly it could display my
photos over the map and hence let me tag street names and features easily.
This gave me the dilemma of where to focus my coding time. On the one hand I
wanted to make JOSM better, because that is what I use, and on the other
hand I'd like to fix up osmeditor2 because that is what I'd like to use.

What is clear, is that with web-sites, editors, renderers, and so forth,
there isn't enough developer time for duplication of work for little or no
reason. I agree 100% with your list of features lacking in JOSM, and I was
already planning on improving the JOSM tagger to make tagging of well
established feature fool-proof, simple, and noob-friendly, and figured that
was low-hanging enough fruit to suit my non-existent java knowledge.

As for the GNU classpath issue, I am not even vaguely close to understanding
how much a task that would be... it is certainly my biggest issue with JOSM,
but perhaps it might be simpler just to wait for classpath to catch up? I
know they are making tremendous progress. It's also possible Sun may get a
clue about open source.

Rob