[OSM-talk] Adding Addresses to OSM

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Tue Sep 12 23:16:38 BST 2006

TM a écrit :

> One reason to separate the address nodes from the road data is the
> amount of data -- and work -- involved. Creating a street map of the
> world is pretty ambitious, and mapping every house is downright
> ludicrous.

For town map, it's very handy to have house number at each intersection.
Most detailled maps show that. It help to pick the right subway station
to use for a given address even if the road is very long (longest is
4,36 km in Paris).

I think OSM should handle this info (keeping the position of each number
along the road is more arguable. I even wonder if anybody is doing it,
as all applications I saw seems to approximate the position for a given
address on the road)

The problem is : How to tag this ?

First thought is to put it on nodes at each end of a way, but many ways
can use the same node. And it they're is the problem of road side.

On second thought, it should go on the way.

   11    9     7     5        3     1
    10        8       6        4    2

The way from A to B could be tagged with something as
start-right-number=1, start-left-number=2, end-right-number=11,
start-left-number=10

Quite a work... And it assumes that the way have one start and one end
(correctly order segment with no Y shape)