[OSM-talk] Map Feature default |was: Re: Annotation presets]

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Sep 13 01:11:13 BST 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 00:58, matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk wrote:
> *  I am assuming footpath = same as pavement. Possibly not, should be
> checked.

Surely not? Aren't all roads assumed to have pavements except motorways, and
those explicitly marked foot=no?

I've always treated highway=footway as meaning footpaths, i.e. ways that don't
allow any kind of motor vehicle down them, and that aren't pedestrianised
areas in town centres. I think of paths in the countryside and down the side
of rivers in towns. These, by default, allow bicycles and usually have signs
asking you to dismount if they don't.

Incidentally, someone brought up cycle lanes. I've not yet come across a road
that is *just* a cycle lane. They usually also allow buses, taxis and
motorbikes where I live, so I mark them as an ordinary road with car=no. But
how should we mark roads with one cycle+bus+etc. lane and one or more
ordinary lanes?

Another conundrum I've not yet worked out is a single carriageway where cars
can only go one way, whilst buses+bikes+taxis can go both. Draw two ways? Or
invent a new tagging definition, like car=oneway?

Reading town centre is too crazy for words. I never realised it on bike,
because I can go just about anywhere. But trying to map well enough for route
planners it is requiring a lot of photos for reference, and messy roads that
produce terrible Osmarenders :/

Regards,
Tom

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the