[OSM-talk] Adding Addresses to OSM

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Wed Sep 13 09:32:14 BST 2006

Andy Robinson wrote:
> I think postal codes stopped the need to hold a lot of address data. Since
> we don’t have postal_codes then we may want to use historical address
> sources instead.

That works reasonably well for countries where the postal code gets down as
far as which side of the street, or in some cases, the individual property
(e.g. United Kingdom, Netherlands). In many countries, it only gets as far
as the local delivery office by the postal code.

US zipcodes are very rarely used by senders in their full form, and many
recipients don't know their full ZIP+4 code.

Talking of addresses, I did some digging on my local council website about
street names and addressing. It seems that when a developer builds a new
street, the developer gets to chose the name of the street, but it must
conform to certain rules:

You can't, for instance call something "Foobar Crescent" when it is in fact
a square, and not crescent shaped at all, nor can the first part of the
street name be repeated in a local vinicity, and street numbers should start
at one.

(I have found at least five streets that do not follow those rules)

The local council then having taken a fee (per property), and upon
officially recognising the street (or property), will put it into their GIS
system, and notify the Royal Mail, and Ordnance Survey (as well as others),
of its existence.

As such, it got me thinking. Would it be worthwhile declaring an interest in
the street changes notifications with various borough councils, or am I just
  a dreamer that publicly collected information should be available to the
public?

--
Simon Hewison