[OSM-talk] Adding Addresses to OSM

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Sep 13 19:13:21 BST 2006

I've been following this thread with some interest since I'm a member
of an open source postal address geocoder project (PAGC,
www.pagcgeo.org). It turns out that the database that converts
addresses to Lon/Lat coordinates for some countries probably isn't
actually a database per se. Rather, it uses what is known as an
address ranged road network file, which has a structure very similar
to the one that Thomas Walraet suggested in that house numbers on
both the right and left side of the street at both the end and start
of a way are included as attributes of the way. What a postal address
geocoder does is match an address to the correct way (sometimes a
difficult task), and then interpolates the location of particular
address along that way, returning the interpolated Lon/Lat. If you
are interested in the structure of one of these files as an example,
take a look at either a US TIGER/Line file (you can pick one up from
http://xastir.tamu.edu) or a Statistics Canada 2005 RNF file (which
can be obtained from http://geodepot.statcan.ca/Diss/
2006Dissemination/Data/FRR_RNF_e.cfm, take the one for the province
of Prince Edward Island to minimize your download time).

The goal of PAGC is to work with road network files for any country,
but it seems that only Canada and the US have publicly available road
network files. Consequently, we are hoping that OSM can provide the
basis for publicly available road network files for places outside of
northern North America.

Dan