[OSM-talk] GPX trackpoint stacks

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 17:37:52 BST 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 05:05:51PM +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
> I have been creating queries to determine statistics of redundancy in
> the GPX trackpoints.
>
> At one point, we have a stack of 11385 gpx points in exactly the same place.
>
> There are 1259115 in stacks of 6 or more,
> 2533037 in stacks of 3 or more
> 6497729 in stacks of more than one

Similarly, I've noticed that the railway that goes through Loughborough and
Leicester tends to have 4 nodes in each place, with only one of them being used
to join the segments.

How easy would a "remove node if it is in exactly the same place as another
node, has no attributes, and is in no segments" removal script be? ...and would
it be "safe"?

I guess it would probably be best run on a planet.osm, and then the changes
checked and made to the database.

--
Matthew