[OSM-talk] Area Support /Osmarender

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Sat Sep 16 15:54:57 BST 2006

Chris Morley a écrit :

> When drawing areas with the way method you have to watch that all the
> segment directions are correctly aligned. This is annoying (direction
> has nothing to do with area)

Direction could have a lot to do with area.

For example, we can agree on always put the water on the right of a
coast line :
     A----------B
     |           \
     |            \
     |            /

ABCDEA is a lake.
EDCBAE is an island.

If water is always on the right side of the "way" that represent the
water/land demarcation, a renderer could draw the coast-line properly
even if only BCD points are on the rendered dataset.

It also remove the need to "close" the area. It's easy to use closed
areas for small islands and lakes, but not for seas and continents...