[OSM-talk] Footways

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 21:16:42 BST 2006

The paths that dont go straight between two points, are definatly used. But
how are you supposed to tell?  Unless its a bridle way, the only marks are
at the gates at either end.  The only time I can make out indirect paths,
wich arnt clearly marked, is when they go threw a crop field and the line
has been plowed.  But then I have to go on the assumption that it is
correct.  Also...if it is correct, then shorely this is becuase it has been
copied from a map....

If it is ok to make footpaths going by marks other people have left (in
various forms), which they have left because of OS maps, then is that not
the same as someone just telling you where the path is...if they got that
information from an OS map.  and on that principle, can a person just walk
in front of you with an OS map, and you just follow them.  Neither person
individually doing any crime.

This leaves me thinking, Is the only way of relaibaly getting footpaths, to
get an old map.  Copy that, and compair that to a new one.  Then go out and
observe the differences yourself?

Ben