[OSM-talk] Area Support /Osmarender

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Sun Sep 17 14:05:18 BST 2006

Frédéric Bonifas wrote:
> 2006/9/17, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com>:
>> What about a level crossing (where a road crosses a railway)?
>>
>> Should there be a node there (tagged highway=crossing) or should the lines
>> just cross without a node?  A car cannot "change roads" at this point onto
>> the railway, nor can a train get onto the road, but it seems sensible to me
>> that there should be a node here that is both part of the railway and part
>> of the highway.
>>
>> Etienne
>
> That was what I tried to ask here :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Level_crossing
> But nobody reacted...

On the 'node means potential movement between segments' logic, I would
think that two separate, coincident nodes would make sense, because
the crossing is a feature of note on both the railway and the highway.
In all other ways I think separate, coincident nodes is asking for
confusion.

I have looked around on the wiki a bit, but I still haven't found
a description of the OSM data model. I mean some statements about nodes
being points with or without segments attached, segments being the line
between two nodes, ways being a collection of segments and so on. Does
it exist and I am just missing it?