[OSM-talk] open data

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Wed Sep 20 15:28:58 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:20:13PM +0100, David Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 02:50:49PM +0100, Emil wrote:
> > Andy, do you have any specific examples of where people/organisations
> > can't use OSM data because of license problems?
>
> FreeThePostcode cannot allow users to find their location on an OSM map
> rather than use their GPS (assuming that we are still treating a point
> on a map as a derived work).

Sorry, I hadn't read your exclusion of taking points from map.

We couldn't use OSM data for something like
  http://www.recyclenow.com/applications/recyclenow_2006/banklocator/search_results.rm?place=ox1+3js

even if it were complete enough as we don't own the licence for the data
overlayed on the map.

Or are you saying that you also don't beleve that plotting things on a
map creates a derived work?

I assume that MySociety couldn't use our maps for
http://www.mysociety.org/2006/travel-time-maps/ as they don't have
permission to give away the data on the maps.

David
- Henry Spencer, University of Toronto Unix hack