[OSM-talk] open data

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Thu Sep 21 12:08:20 BST 2006

> > Anyway, I believe that a change in license would be impossible without
> > contacting every single contributor, so I assume this discussion is
> rather
> > pointless :o)

However "impossible" a license change is now, it will be more impossible
later. I know of at least one project (mozilla) that did go to the effort of
contacting all code contributors (see
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/relicensing-faq.html)

I do think a gradual change would be possible. Existing data would remain on
the existing license until modified (where "modified" may simple be a
declaration by the creator that it can be used under the new license).

It is very clear from the discussion that we are a *long* way from any
consensus on what we are trying to achieve. This is true from both the
perspective of licensing, but also in terms of what map features are
required, etc.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com