[OSM-talk] open data

Thu Sep 21 23:12:04 BST 2006

On 21 Sep 2006, at 22:48, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> This is where you're mistaken.  If OSM wasn't here to promote
> copyleft, all data would have been given to the public domain.

As ever, Lars, I like your idealism, but I don't think that's supported
by history. AIUI (though I stand to be corrected) there wasn't a huge
deal of deliberation that went into choosing CC-SA, certainly less than
we've spent discussing it ever since.

Of course, if OSM really is here to promote copyleft, you should be
lobbying for a change in the foundation's objectives.

cheers
Richard