[OSM-talk] Navi GPS SD card woe, any advice?

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Fri Sep 22 10:47:18 BST 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 21:44, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2006, at 20:36, Tom Chance wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 September 2006 20:17, Adam Bower wrote:
> >> Right, I think I /might/ have a solution. It turns out that my
> >> NaviGPS
> >> is *incredibly* fussy. I've now got it (seemingly) working with
> >> all the
> >> of the SD cards I own (including the 1GB kingston card that
> >> proclaims it
> >> is 3.3V only that used to freeze the gps solid). The trick is to do a
> >>
> >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc (or wherever the raw device is for the
> >> card)
> >>
> >> in Linux, then put the card into a windows box and format it which
> >> creates 1 single partition on the raw device. Then putting the
> >> card in
> >> the NaviGPS and it all "just works".
> >
> > That's promising :o) Any idea what Windows does that's so magical,
> > for those
> > of us without any easy access to a Windows machine?
>
> If it's something to do with the precise layout of a virgin
> filesystem presumably somebody could use dd to capture the contents
> of a just-formatted device and make the file available.

I had similar problems, then I found a card which seemed to work right away
with a single partition on it. I thought that's it; so I did of the
bootsectors and used it for other cards. In the first time it seems to work
but then i started to have random errors on some of the cards. So I'm back to
using only the formatting which the NaviGPS does itself. And skipped all card
which cannot be formatted by the NaviGPS itself. It's really annoying, but I
hope I got all my NaviGPS working now.

BTW: For Southern Germany we now do have a set of NaviGPS to borrow too ;-)
 http://www.ostertag.name/osm/NaviGPS/thumbs/TN_480x360_Germany-Set.jpg

PS.: CC to the Manufacturer Scytex

--
Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304