[OSM-talk] tagging segments - Was Re: Problems with Osmarender

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Sep 24 23:35:01 BST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Etienne" <80n80n at gmail.com>
To: "Ben Robbins" <ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com>
Cc: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Problems with Osmarender

> On 9/24/06, Ben Robbins <ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> This doesnt seem to be the problem.  There are already a few spots that I
>> had made ways without really knowing why. They didn't/don't render.
>

> Check the tags.  The ways must have a highway tag.
>

> Just to
>> check I made another and copied the data that was on the section that
>> does
>> render,  and it didnt render.  (I did this on a few different road types)
>>
>> Also A couple of questions have come to mind.  If there is a single
>> segment,
>> how do I group that?.
>

> Make a group of one :-)
>

> Do all the segments on the way HAVE to share the exact same properties?
>

> Yes, that is the definition of a way.
>
> e.g. If one street has houses at some points along it, will I have to
> split
>> the set of segments into a group of ways according to where the houses
>> are/are not?
>

> Yes.

Not had a chance to try Osmarender 3 yet, but.

Lets consider a road, named say "The High Street", which is primarily an
unclassified road.  However part of it has some shops on it, and part of it
is residential.

I had created one way, named "the high street", and tagged it as
unclassified, then for the segments which were residential I tagged these as
abutters = residential, and the segments which were retail I tagged as
abutters = retail.  This dispaled as a nice road, with one name on it, and
the abutterts coloured as needed.

Am I to understand this will not now display, and that to display the road I
will now have to create three ways, on e way tagged as highway =
residential, one tagged as highway = unclassified, and one tagged as highway
= retail (is this latter one even valid?)

David