[OSM-talk] tagging segments - Was Re: Problems with Osmarender

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 09:05:25 BST 2006

On 9/25/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have this same concern. If we do not make it simple and clear to users
> how
> they should override a way characteristics then there will be a lot of
> single length ways which will be no better than the original segments.
>
> I currently use segments to:
>
> 1. Override a way characteristics for a short section (similar to David
> but
> also for other reasons, including in some cases property number
> information). I'm also conscious that unless we have a tool for splitting
> way it precludes anyone coming along and altering the attributes of a
> section of way. For long ways that's going to be vital. Eventually I could
> see lots of special attributes being added (as well as lots of new nodes,
> which isn't a problem) as new users come along and improve the richness of
> the data.

I tried using this technique of override tagging at the segment level for a
while but found it really difficult to see what I'd done.

When adjusting a node to make a road follow some trackpoints more closely it
is easy to move it linearly as well.  If there is information at the segment
level then you dont see it when you do this.  This resulted in me moving
several residental areas out of position.  If you are editing an area that
someone else has created it is very difficult to tell that there is tagging
at the segment level.  If the road differences are delinated by being
separate ways then it is much more obvious what is happening.

This could be improved by having better editing tools, but at the moment it
is not ideal.

2. Provide a visual means of noting where mapping has been done but more
> work is required, adding the street name and other attributes for
> instance,
> or for ways that are only partially complete. If everything is made into a
> way from the outset it will be more difficult to find incomplete work
> unless
> there is a method of displaying differently (eg ways with no tags).

I'd really like JOSM to colour nodes that have tags in a different colour to
nodes that have no tags.  Then it is easy to see if a node is just for
positioning or is there as a POI.

Etienne has noted that one of the problems with face is the increase in the
> number of tagged segments. We can redress this issue by changing the focus
> from segment creating to way creation but still permit segment creation as
> part of a way if special attributes are required. Surely that's all we
> need
> to do?

I'd go along with that if the editing tools were better and with the proviso
that all segments may one day get promoted to ways and segments as a distict
entity will cease to exist.

Etienne

Cheers