[OSM-talk] "OSMBabel" - a universal OSM-to-other-formats application

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Tue Sep 26 16:11:44 BST 2006

I was at SoC and heard the requests for data outputs, etc. I am in
complete ignorance of how the database is structured, but will make the
following point of principle. At present if I want to get a dataset of
the motorway coverage of UK I would have to download a huge amount of
data from web, through JOSM (in stages) and output to a data file with
all the other "redundant" data still intact and taking filespace
(correct me if I am wrong). What would be better would be the ability to
interrogate and filter the data first in order to pull out only the ways
tagged with specific characteristics (eg tag or combination of tags),
and perhaps combined with some bounding box or other area delimiting
tool. Then have the option to either render that output into map-like
form OR output to other (selectable) format - eg shapefile, AI, xml,
csv, pdf or whatever. The GPSbabel parallel is a good one to consider -
multiple inputs and outputs. Web app through GUI would make it much more
usable than command line approach.

Cheers
STEVE

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk