[OSM-talk] Osmarender 3.0

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 14:53:39 BST 2006

Hello Tom

That would be a good option. Perhaps use the agent string, user
preference or javascript to determine SVG compatibility.

If SVG rendering is not available, then do something like:

xmlstarlet tr osmarender.xsl osm-map-features.xml | rsvg-convert -f png
 >myimg.png

Which could easily be put into a script under apache, with a suitable
MIME header to serve a pre-rendered png.

However, I feel we should encourage adoption of open standards such as
SVG, and help iron out bugs in the implementations. We can suggest (but
not require) users to use an SVG plug-in if the browser doesn't support
SVG. It is reasonable for there to be feature set and speed enhancements
to be achieved by using SVG. This will apply pressure to M$ to support SVG.

IF a user is using png, include a link on the viewer page along the
lines of: "It appears your browser doesn't support scalable vector
graphics (SVG). See: <a
href='http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/SVG'>Updating to SVG</a>