[OSM-talk] New user: OSM theory, and Naming Streets

Jack Challen jackchallen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 14:49:41 BST 2006

Hi, I'm a newbie to this project.

I've created some GPS tracks and imported them to JOSM. I imported
them as plain GPS data points because if I don't it appears that JOSM
treats all the points on my journey as part of the same way (I think
that's the term).
I then start drawing points on the map using the GPS points as a guide
(because I've driven the same road more than once I've got multiple
traces - I'm just visually averaging them by guessing). Is this a
sensible way to do it?

I've got a couple of questions that don't appear to be answered in the FAQ:

1. Is a segment simply a join between two nodes?

2. Is a "way" considered to be a single path/road/track?

3. How do I name a "way" - e.g. "This is Station Road"? I can't see
anywhere obvious in JOSM or the online applet. Presumably there's also
a way to show this is a main road, this one's a country lane, but I'm
just starting...

4. Can I apply more than one name to a road/segment of road? For
example, a road might be the A1234, with a random section known as
"The Bowl". Also a road going between town A and town B might be known
as "A road" when you're in B, but "B road" when you're in A. (Yikes,
that was a bad choice of names :) ).

cheers
jack