[OSM-talk] Cycle route planning using OSM

Tom Taylor tom at tomtaylor.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 10:42:05 BST 2007

Hi all,

I'm new here, but recently attended the Open Knowledge Forum event in
London, and enjoyed hearing about OpenStreetMap's efforts. I was even
more amazed to see the level of detail that places like Cambridge and
Loughborough are at!

What I'm here to ask is whether there's any interest in putting cycle
route information onto OSM. Properties such as
bikelane_exists=yes;bikelane_hours=24h;trafficdensity=low - that sort of
thing, as well as putting on useful nodes such as bike parking.

I ask because there's a group in the US working on the ByCycle Trip
Planner (http://trac.bycycle.org/wiki). I'm trying to assess the
feasibility of using OSM data with their route finder to build a system
for town/city cycle route planning.

Is anyone already working on anything in this realm? Could a working
group of interested people within OSM come up with some kind of
standards to aid the mapping of this data? Do you want to help?

I'm keen to hear any thoughts.

Cheers,

Tom

--