[OSM-talk] Cycle route planning using OSM

Tue Apr 3 12:07:46 BST 2007

Tom Chance wrote:

> There should probably be a separate project for cyclists and
> pedestrians, a kind of "OSM for humans" :-) Freemap is making good
> progress in producing a slippy map for countryside walks. It will
> really need a different approach to rendering, showing different
> data, and different tools to make it easy for people to enter the
> data specific to this project. Use the same database, of course, or
> at least use the OSM database and only store additional data
> separately.

<aol>me too</aol>

One of the reasons I'm involved in OSM is that I think the National
Cycle Network is a thoroughly great invention - both fun and socially
useful. But the online maps on Sustrans' website are, I'm afraid,
pretty much unusable, and that can't but hurt take-up of the NCN. A
usable map of the NCN would help to encourage cycling and discourage
car use.

So, one day it would be excellent to have an "Outdoor map" style of
cartography offered on the main OSM slippy map, as a third alternative
to Mapnik (which is evolving along the lines of road-atlas/streetmap
cartography) and Osmarender. Freemap may well be a good starting point.

With that and a route-planner, there would seem to me to be one
element remaining: a printable route-guide. In a previous existence I
did http://www.waterscape.com/boating/guides/ , which creates dynamic
printable PDF cruising guides. This was using OS data for canals, but
there's no reason why the same couldn't be done with OSM data for
cycle routes.

As for the editor, after a suggestion from Nick W I put walking and
cycling tag presets in Potlatch, but that's only 1% of what could be
done...

cheers
Richard