[OSM-talk] Cycle route planning using OSM

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:02:33 BST 2007

On 4/3/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> <aol>me too</aol>
>
> One of the reasons I'm involved in OSM is that I think the National
> Cycle Network is a thoroughly great invention - both fun and socially
> useful. But the online maps on Sustrans' website are, I'm afraid,
> pretty much unusable, and that can't but hurt take-up of the NCN. A
> usable map of the NCN would help to encourage cycling and discourage
> car use.
>
> So, one day it would be excellent to have an "Outdoor map" style of
> cartography offered on the main OSM slippy map, as a third alternative
> to Mapnik (which is evolving along the lines of road-atlas/streetmap
> cartography) and Osmarender. Freemap may well be a good starting point.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for too. I've considered making my own
"cycling" tileset (motorways as thin grey lines, cycle routes in bold
etc), but that's more-or-less on hold whilst I do more of the
base-mapping round my area. I think it'll be easier for me to put the
NCN (and London cycle network) details into OSM after an area has been
comprehensively base-mapped.