[OSM-talk] planet file size limit

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 14:28:56 BST 2007

On 04/04/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> Perhaps someone has already thought about this, but I notice that the
> planet.osm file is 3.5Gb at the moment, so it won't be very long before it
> reaches the 4Gb file size limit typical of many disks (e.g. FAT32 - i.e.
> most USB hard disks) and things like compression programs will start to
> blow
> up too (can bz2 files cope with a file > 4Gb?).

Yeah, bzip2 can cope.
As can ntfs, ext3, xfs, and reiserfs.

I think most people doing development/processing using the planet are not
going to be using fat32.
Personally I'd not bother wasting my time unless somebody actually starts to
complain.

If people are after a smaller chunk then they'll download one of the
excerpts people are generating. Splitting the file will just cause a
headache like having to cat them all together before plugging them into
tools expecting only one file.
I doubt any tools which are designed to work with the planet will be broken
by a 4GB barrier.