[OSM-talk] bike mapping setup idea

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Apr 16 14:31:57 BST 2007

Hi,

> GPS connection works fine in java (using additional usb libs).

If you're running Linux I'd very much recommend to use gpsd instead of
talking to the GPS directly. This not only gives you a complete
abstraction from GPS protocols (i.e. it will work with any GPS), but
will also help immensely with debugging as you can run it in the "dry
dock" and have it simulate GPS output as if you were out on the bike.

> For postprocessing I would write a josm plugin that handles the picture
> "stream" well (scrolling through pictures, highlighting according track
> points etc.). For the in-field software I'm not yet sure whether to
> create a stand-alone application or also a josm plugin...

If you decide to use a JOSM plugin, maybe we can somehow reanimate my
livegps experiment. That plugin (somewhere in SVN) was intended for
in-car use but in practice it was too cumbersome so handle even in a
slow-moving car.

Bye
Frederik