[OSM-talk] U.S. Interstate interchange labeling

David Bishop tech at gnuconsulting.com
Fri Apr 20 22:30:19 BST 2007

Oddly enough (and it took a while for me to figure this out), OSM cares
which direction you connect the dot.  I.e., connecting point A to point
B is different than connecting point B to point A.  To see the arrows,
go to the options in JOSM and turn on direction arrows (sorry, I don't
have JOSM on this computer, or I could be more specific).  Now, when
you're creating a way, make sure that the arrows all point in the same
direction, *and* that that direction is the way traffic flows.  Then,
mark the way 'oneway = 1'.

If that isn't clear enough (and I'm typing quickly, so don't be shy),
let me know and I'll explain further.  There are a few things about OSM
that took me a while to figure out, and I'm still learning.

Oh! One more note!  Ways don't branch.  So, for instance, off-ramps
should be a seperate way, not just part of the interstate way.  Any way
that branches is an error.  There are some josm lint plugins (search the
list archives for 'josm lint') that will help out with finding stuff
like this.

Got to go,

David