[OSM-talk] OSM the mediocre alternative

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Sun Apr 22 13:02:02 BST 2007

> I think that tagging segments is probably the only sensible way to
> introduce house numbers to the database.

a single segment does not know which wayS it belongs to, thus making it
difficult to determine which way the numbers actually belong to.

> If we add a tags to the segments:
> numbers_left=1-7 odd
> numbers_right=2-8 even

That's possible, but it's a hack, not a solution for the numbering
problem.

> we could interpolate the other numbers in the road. If we have to tag
> the whole way with house numbers, the interpolation would be nothing
> like as accurate.

This will work in most cases, but in reality, there are even more
complex numbering scemes.

> Having a node for every house seems way over the
> top in most cases.

True, but I guess one day we will have one object (currently read as
node) for each house. BTW, even the professional mappers don't seem to
have all house numbers in their databases, but only a selection for
each street.

> By the way, I suggest that instead of a range, a
> list would be possible where a segment has non-contiguous numbering
> e.g.:
> numbers_left=1;1a;3;5;9

That's possible, but again it's a hack, not a solution for the numbering
problem. I want to achieve proper routing one day, which leads me
exactly to the right place, not only approximately. This is important
due to oneways etc.

> I suppose we could instead put house numbers on nodes, but where a
> node is a junction between more than one road, this would get very
> awkward.

If we put them on nodes, those nodes shouldn't be part of the way itself
(and if it only was to avoid accidental deletion of tagged odes if
someone edits a street). Instead, it would be better to add dedicated
nodes. But then it's difficult to create the proper relationship of a
node to the street :( .

Just my two cents,

ce