[OSM-talk] Topology (was: OSM the mediocre alternative)

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Thu Apr 26 11:36:11 BST 2007

On 26 Apr 2007, at 11:09, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi Artem,
>
>> Have you got database schema and/or sample data for the model in
>> 'towards-a-new-...' ?
>
> No. The paper does not present or contain a data model. It is not
> yet even clear what we need, so it would be futile to throw around
> database schemas. (And maybe even limiting your perspective in a
> much too early state; maybe a closer investigations leads us to
> discover working fruits of the  PostGIS topology project that can
> be used, or a switch to Orcacle is required, or it would be
> worthwile to implement Topo/GIS features for MySQL, or whatever.)

OK, I was hoping you have something to play with. I think
investigating PostGIS topology or even fixing MySQL is a good plan.
I'm not so sure about Oracle.

I'm working on efficient, compact data source with topology support
at the moment and I found gigabase. I've written experimental plug-in
for Mapnik and I'm getting good results. It might be worthwhile
investigating object-database e.g. Gigabase for OSM as well.

Cheers,

> I am ATM concerned with a few lower-hanging fruits myself so
> haven't spent a lot of thought on the paper since Essen.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frederik at remote.org  ##  N49°00.09' E008°