[OSM-talk] osmarender slippy map rendering

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:25:15 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > Perhaps there should be a secondary version of each z12 tile that
> > is used just as the source for lowzoom.
>
> I should've read that mail before writing mine ;-)

I'm glad to see that others have been thinking along the same lines.  Your
post was more detailed and explains it better than I did.

> If the main OSM server is unable to do this then a separate mini-
> > database of just these nodes could be created from planet.osm and
> > interrogated separately.  They wont change very much so having them
> > updated once a week wouldn't be a big problem.
>
> I can imagine such a database being put to a lot of other intersting
> uses as well.

Try this as a proof of concept:

http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.3/map?bbox=-0.5,51.5,0.5,52

It will filter and return just those nodes that have a k="place" tag.

Caveat: this is running off a database built from a planet.osm that is
several weeks old, and it's running on a very small box, but it will accept
larger bboxes than the main OSM server.

80n

Bye