[OSM-talk] maplint vs. uncontinuous streets?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:55:10 BST 2007

> As for the Y-shaped ways, you must remember that internally they are
> stored as a *sequence* of segments,

An ordered sequence, yes, but not an ordered *connected/contiguous*
sequence. :-)

Anyway, hair-splitting aside, my main concern is for newbies. I'm
trying to make things easier to get started, and when people are told
that they were doing something wrong, that makes them feel bad. If
they had no way of knowing they were wrong, they feel frustrated.
Also, since it's a feature (like it or not) of the system, that's
where it should be enforced, if we want to enforce it. Giving people
flexibility to e.g. make Y shaped ways but then just saying "that is
incorrect" isn't friendly, especially for beginners.

I'll try to find a chance to document some of this - I've been working
on the Mapper page (leading on from previous work on the Mapping
Techniques pages), and I want to make an equivalent Editing Techniques
to cover this kind of stuff in an editor-independent way.

Cheers,
Andy