[OSM-talk] Unordered segments

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 09:13:10 BST 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net> wrote:
>> In my opinion it's not the incomplete flag, but that JOSM cannot somehow
>> cope with ways that have been downloaded in several steps. Somehow it
>> just patches the new stuff on, instead of rebuilding the way from the
>> data now available.
>
> The thing is, I've looked at the code and the problem that's occuring
> simply Shouldn't Happen (tm). The problem is basically that somehow
> multiple nodes with the same ID appear and some get attached to the
> right object and some don't.
>
> I still don't understand the download merging process enough yet to
> really look into it, but I'm thinking of piling in the debug info and
> try to work out where it's going wrong...

I need to download a newer copy of JOSM and check the current version, but I
have been seeing problems when tidying up legacy sections. Currently I have a
number of 'problem' ways in my area.
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=6806954.62272&lon=-208137.98291&zoom=14&layers=00B000

Some of the main routes already existed when I started adding tracks, but some
of the 'problem' ones have been constructed in stages with segments added to
the existing base way, and the re-order option was always selected.

My problem now is tidying all this up, but since we are working in rural
areas, then JOSM will not download a big enough area in one hit, so I have to
select a smaller area, then move over. At THAT point, I have previously been
told I need to save - delete the data layer - and load clean, because if I do
not, then the new download does not have clean combined information. I suspect
that some of the current faults have been cause because of NOT doing that
initially. Since the bulk of the newer data is clean.

I hope to get a few hours later today to download a new batch of tracks, and
tidy some more bits, so any pointers to where I am going wrong ...

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=6806925.95884&lon=-208196.505&zoom=17&layers=00B000
This has roads with turning circles or turning bays at the end - how should
they be drawn?
And the element in the middle is a car park with a way round the edge - what
is the correct way of putting that in. ( Two more car parks are not appearing
at all but once I get one right :) )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL