[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Aug 1 18:12:05 BST 2007

On 01/08/2007 17:55, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Peter Miller wrote:
>> To summarise: I will tag highway nodes as follows:
>>
>> crossing=zebra
>> crossing=pelican
>> crossing=toucan
>> crossing=pegasus
>> crossing=lollipop
>
> *please* can we come up with something that makes some sort of sense for
> these?  Animals and candy!?  This is about as international-unfriendly
> as you can *get*!

Here's what they effectively mean

zebra => pedestrian priority
pelican => pedestrian signalled
toucan => cycle/pedestrian segregated signalled
toucan => cycle/pedestrian shared(they use the same space to cross)
signalled
pegasus => cycle/pedestrian/horse segregated signalled
lollipop => pedestrian supervised (may have signals or not)

(There's also in the UK a thing called a 'puffin' crossing which is
pedestrian signalled, but with miniature lights on the pole rather than
a facing 'green man').

These combinations are a bit tedious. If we follow the pattern fro
restrictions we have elsewhere, we might have
   crossing=traffic_signals or crossing=uncontrolled
with
   pedestrian=no (default is yes if omitted)
   bicycle=yes (default no)
   horse=yes (default no)
   segregated=yes/no (default not known)
   supervised=yes (default no)

Hence
zebra:
   crossing=uncontrolled
pelican
   crossing=traffic_signals
   bicycle=yes
   segregated=yes
toucan
   crossing=traffic_signals
   bicycle=yes
   segregated=no
pegasus
   crossing=traffic_signals
   bicycle=yes
   horse=yes
   segregated=yes (sometimes no)
lollipop
   crossing=traffic_signals (or uncontrolled, as appropriate)
   supervised=yes

Is this better?

David